Thursday 14 May 2015

Japanese Udon With A Local Twist - Studio Cafe

I am a big fan of Udon. And most of the Udon noodles that I had were from halal certified Japanese restaurants such as Hei Sushi and it mostly comes in a soup. I've tried Ramen and I think my taste buds are designed for Udon.

 Today, I went to Studio Cafe Sg for lunch. When I first looked at the menu, I had the feeling of "it's another one of those eating places".






Let me explain, most of the food outlets served the same old stuffs such as nasi goreng or mee goreng and most of these can be easily found at the neighbourhood markets and hawkers. I'm not complaining and I am grateful that there's plenty of food in Singapore but I'm just saying that a little variety triggers some excitement. A little use of innovation is what I want to look for.

 As I looked at each individual food on the lost, I found some unique names added on to these meals. I wanted something a little different. Did I say I wanted something different? Did I say I wanted something innovative? Well, I didn't find it until I reach the very last item on the menu; Oishi Udon Sambal Belachan.

Oishi Udon Sambal Belachan
Do forgive me for the orientation of the picture. I'm not sure what happened but, even after several downloads, the picture 'self rotate' by 90 degrees.

The Meal
This meal is like mee goreng seafood but with Udon with some fried crackers(keropok) at the side and some pickled chillis(chilli jeruk). Overall the taste is nice and the portion is rather filling. The prawns are not too soft, just the way I like it.

 I'm just quite puzzled why it has the name 'sambal belachan' when there was barely any sambal belachan taste. But I was able to tell that it has plenty of black pepper. The meal was rather 'heaty' from the black pepper. The 'heatiness' remained even after I washed it down with a cup of warm teh-o(tea without milk).

Their bandung drink was pretty bland. If they used slightly more rose syrup with evaporated milk, not any other milk, it will taste much better. Just my personal opinion.

Overall, the food is pretty decent. For the plate of Oishi Udon Sambal Belachan, it costs me about $6(I think). The place is rather cosy and nicely designed.



Will I Be Back Again?
Yes. I want to give its western menu a try. Maybe if I happen to be in the neighbourhood in the morning, I might drop by to try out their breakfast. Yes, they do serve breakfast, or at least I saw breakfast on the menu.

Where Is It Located?
Studio Cafe is located in the heartlands of Toa Payoh, specifically, Blk 47 Toa Payoh Lorong 6, Singapore 310047.

No comments:

Post a Comment