Tuesday 26 May 2015

WhatSub 'Slurp' Sandwiches

Ever since the article on 'plastic' made rice appeared on my facebook home page, I seemed to lost the appetite for rice. Maybe its temporary, maybe its permanent, I do not know. But I think the human race really has taken innovation too far. Just a few years ago, I saw a picture of a sea turtle chewing a piece of 'seaweed' which in fact was a plastic bag. And if no authority steps in, we will be no different from that sea turtle soon enough.

So last weekend, I so wanted to avoid eating rice. My wife wanted to try a new 'subway' style sandwich shop in the eastern part of Singapore. So off we go.

It was about 4pm on a hot Sunday afternoon. Next to the Salty Peanut Gelato outlet, stands a packed sandwich shop called WhatSub Sandwich Cafe.

I think we all love sandwiches. Subway seems like a good choice but there is one problem, it is not Halal. A few local Muslim entrepreneurs tried to bring a Halal version to cater for the muslim community. Unfortunately, these outlets had to shut down. Many years later, at a place called East Village, WhatSub Sandwich Cafe was founded.



Unfortunately, WhatSub does not seem to have its own website or maybe it is under construction. At the time when this post was written, there were no website or even a facebook page.I sure hope this post will be able to help them have some online presence.

The eating area was quite small so we decided to have it to go. The lady before us ordered something like 6 meal sets of sandwiches and a few of those were meatball sandwiches.

How To Order manual
There was a so called instruction poster that advises customers on how order. And the lady in front of us that bought several sandwiches provided me with the needed 'demo'.



As you might have guessed, the sandwiches are not as long or as big as Subways. I think it is more life a half foot size.

menu
My wife ordered the tri-turkey set, which comes with a soft drink and roasted potatoes. I had the pulled beef, with all types of vegetables.




For cheese lovers, you have three types of cheese to choose from. 



How was the meal?
The meal was fantastic. the vegetables tasted fresh, crunchy and juicy. Just that the jalapeno pickles caught my taste buds by surprise. I was so enjoying this meal that by the time I remembered I needed to take a picture, I was already halfway done.





Will We Be Back Again?
Definitely. In fact, I'm already thinking of going there today.

Where is it located?
WhatSub Sandwich Cafe is located at 430 Upper Changi Road #01-12 East Village, Singapore 487048. It is next to Salty Peanut Gelato.



No comments:

Post a Comment