Wednesday 27 May 2015

Assam Pedas Melaka in Singapore

After collecting the cakes from Sucre Delices, I received a text from my wife, informing me to get lunch. I drove over to Changi Village as it has been many years since I've been there and getting some of their well-known nasi lemak for lunch is definitely not a bad idea.

Unfortunately, parking was tough. I could not get parking at all and there were lines of cars anxiously waiting to pounce on any available space. I drove over the Pasir Ris Downtown East and I headed over to the food court.

The food court is known as Asli Village. 'Asli' means natural or original. Asli Village has a large number of stalls with local cuisines, western food, east indian food and of course, Satay.

One particular stall attracted my attention;



Melaka is a well known province in Malaysia, full of culture and history, birthplace of some of the region's finest warriors and silat practitioners. One of the dishes I will always have when I go to Melaka is Asam Pedas.



I don't have the slightest idea how this version will turn out so i thought I'd give a shot.

I told the man that I wanted assam pedas and they asked me to choose a fish. On the large tray at the front, I saw stingrays, prompets and many other fishes. I choose a slice of stingray to go.

Looking at their menu, they seemed to provide fish dishes such as lemak cili padi andikan bakar(barbequed fish). I think its ideal for large family meals where you can order rice with multiple dishes.

It took them about 20-30minutes to prepare and it came in a large container. The fish that I chose was cut into 7-8 pieces.


The Dish
There was a strong taste of black pepper, there was a little bit of daun kesum (a type of herb that is mostly used in laksa) but no sign of vegetables at all. Some of the more well-known stalls includes either lady's finger or brinjal in their Assam Pedas. The fish, even though was cooked in Assam Pedas, did not seem to hold the flavour of the gravy. Probably, I could be wrong though, the gravy was prepared much earlier and all they did was to throw in the fish and heat it.

Will I be back again?
Maybe not. Even if I do, I will try some other things. This Assam Pedas really did not impress my taste bud.

Where is it located?
Asli Village at Asli Village at E!hub Downtown East, The Alley #01-03/03A – 03H/03J/03K






No comments:

Post a Comment