Tuesday 21 June 2016

Delicious Duck At Dapur Penyet

On every Eid, I always look forward to eat my aunt's lontong and rendang. Her rendang is no ordinary rendang. It's duck rendang.

I remembered the first time I had a taste of duck meat was more than ten years ago. I was passing this stall at Mackenzie and decided to give its duck rice a try. It was terrible.

A few years later, I tried another duck rice from another restaurant. It was not to my liking. After a series of disappointments, I concluded that maybe duck was not my thing. Maybe, it was just my taste buds way of saying no to duck meat.

And I also concluded that maybe the spices used in my aunt's duck rendang is more my kind of thing.

One fine afternoon, my wife and I went over to Centrepoint Metro as there was a sale there and my wife wanted to buy some 'high tech machine' for her baking. Centrepoint was under some major renovation at that time and the number of eateries was rather limited, especially the halal eateries.

There were 2 restaurants opened for business on that day. One was Desa Kartika and the other was Dapur Penyet.

I've tried Desa Kartika and you will get to read about it on a different post. At that time, I think there was a wedding reservation at Desa Kartika and so we decided to try the other restaurant, Dapur Penyet.



 Dapur Penyet specializes in Indonesian recipes such as Nasi Ayam Penyet (Smashed Chicken with Rice). Looking at the menu, I saw something interesting; Bebek  or Duck... and I decided to give it a try..

When the meal arrived, I simply could not wait to try it. That explains why the before photo was not taken.

It was yummy! The aroma was tantalizing, the duck skin was crispy and the meat.. tender and juicy.

I have to say it was one of the best duck dishes I have eaten.

Each rice set consist of;

  • Rice
  • small portion of crackers
  • fried tofu
  • veges, cucumbers and tomatoes
  • the meat(chicken, beef or duck)
  • soup
  • sambal or chilli sauce

The soup really goes well with the meal. It's not too peppery and not too bland. As for the sambal.... it may be small in portion but make no mistake,,, it is hot!

In addition to the food, I like the service rendered by the staff.

On one of my visits, I brought along my daughters, 1 and 4. She came over to check on us if there was anything else we wanted. I told her that we were ok. Looking at my daughter's soup almost finished, she came back with another bowl of soup for my daughter. I think it was very sweet and a nice gesture.

I recommend their bebek bakar or roasted duck. It comes with the same combination I stated above and its the better duck set.




Will I Be Back Again?
Definitely. 

Where Is It Located?
Centrepoint @ 176 Orchard Road
#01-59/60/61/62 Singapore 238843  
It's just alongside Mak's Noodle and Ichiban Boshi restaurant. 

They do have other outlets as follows;

• BAGHDAD STREET. Baghdad ST No. 23

• TIONG BAHRU PLAZA. Level 3
• NATIONAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL. Level 5
• CLEMENTI MALL. Level 4
• ANGMOKIO HUB. Level 3
• CITY PLAZA PAYA LEBAR ROAD. Ground Floor
• CITY SQUARE MALL. Serangoon Road
• LOT ONE MALL. Choa Chu Kang Level 4

Operating Hours?
They are open from Monday to Sunday from 10am to 10pm

Should you wish to make a reservation, head on to their facebook page and drop down your queries.
https://www.facebook.com/dapurpenyetsingapore/?fref=ts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to squeeze in another couple of photos on my most recent visit to Dapur Penyet on 25th June 2016 at 7.15pm..

This time, I made sure I took the photos before it's gone.

3-layered iced tea and iced longan drink
the 3-layered iced tea is almost like any normal iced teh tarek but with gula melaka (coconut sugar). It's nice but kind of filling.


Bebek Affair & Bebek Bakar

I had bebek bakar (roasted duck) while my wife had bebek affair (fried duck). Both set comes with a small bowl of soup, creackers, fried tofu and some vege(cabbage, cucumber and lettuce). of course, you will have the small portion of sambal or chilli sauce.
Up close and personal with Bebek Bakar
 I realized that the sambal from bebek bakar and bebek affair are different. the sambal of bebek bakar is much hotter and sharper whereas the sambal from the bebek affair set is rather mild and you can easily mix it with rice.

Fried calamari

This is my first time trying this fried calamari and to be honest, it was quite a disappointment. why was it a disappointment? Simply because of the very bland taste. for $9 plus, it's really not worth it, to me.

Maybe calamari was not there specialty but I do recommend there chicken and duck sets.

If you are not a chilli person, do have your drink handy before you even think of putting that sambal in your mouth.


No comments:

Post a Comment